Friday, April 2, 2010

524-Lab Intro

I decided to do my lab on advising 5 people.  When I thought about reader advisory, I know a lot of people are much more comfortable with the anonymity of computers, texting, and other non face to face ways of communication.  So I think what I am going to do is create a document that would then be placed on a librarys website to assist with reader advisory.  Patrons would then be able to fill out the form and submit it to the reference desk.  On my form, I am going to have options for the follow up.  Do they want to make an appointment and come in to the library and meet with me about the selections I have chosen for them?  Do they want me to call them and discuss the selections over the phone?  OR Do they want me to simply email them the selections with descriptions about the books I think would interest them?  I think that by giving those options, I will be better ablet to help different types of people and their preferences.  Some people may not have the time to actually come into a library and go through the reader advisory interview in person, but would like the face to face discussion about the books found and then be able to take them home at that time.  Other readers may just want the information over the phone or by email so they can come into the library at their leisure to check out the books, or though we might not like to think about it, they may just order them through Amazon or head to Barnes and Noble to purchase the books.  Either way, I like my idea.  I already have 3 people in mind to do my advising with.  Need to find 2 more victims! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment